3 furnaces, 9 production lines, 350,000 tons of glass / year
CP Glass S.A.
Branch „Orzesze” Glassworks
59 Gliwicka str.
History of glass production in Orzesze dates back to 1719 when Upper Silesia’s second glassworks was established within the area of the present district of Stara Szklarnia in Orzesze. In 1846 there were already three glassworks in Orzesze that employed in total 15 employees and produced 1455 glass boards per year. In 1875 glassworks was opened within the area of “Maria” ironworks. It was modernized in 1914. At that time other glassworks became bankrupt because they were not able to compete with a big and modern plant from the neighborhood. Thus only one glassworks remained in Orzesze and it was continuously developed. Changeable history of Glassworks in Orzesze depended not only on the manner of its management but basically on disturbances in the market due to violent events in Europe.
In 1922, after Silesia joined Poland, the glassworks was given the name of “Śląska Fabryka Szkła w Orzeszu”. At that time the glassworks manufactured bottles only. In 1932 the Glassworks was replaced by “Górnośląska Fabryka Porcelany w Orzeszu” sp. z. o. o. and “Spółdzielnia Wytwórcza Szklarnia”. In 1934 r., thanks to good financial results of the plant, a branch was opened in Inowrocław and in 1936 another branch was opened in Ruda-Opalina (Chełm Lubelski district).
After the war the glassworks was nationalized. The plant produced food bottles using the machinery that survived the war. In 1954 automatic machines for blown and pressed glass were purchased in West Germany. These were used for manufacturing jars while old automatic machines produced bottles. General modernization of the glassworks was carried out between 1968 and 1973. Production of bottles was made automatic. A batch plant, compressor room, annealing furnace shops, locomotive depot and warehouse were built. In 1974 the Glassworks became a plant of Sosnowieckie Huty Szkła and then a part of Zjednoczone Huty Szkła Opakowaniowego “Vitropak” in Poznań (“Vitropak”Association of Packaging Glassworks). Within that period the production of bottles for mineral water and brown bottles for beer was commenced. In 1982, after the association broke up, the glassworks regained its independence. The process of reconstruction and modernization of the plant was restarted. Between 1989 and 1990 the Glassworks underwent another modernization. 3 old furnaces were replaced with new and more efficient ones that saved 60% of energy. The glassworks still produced food and pharmaceutical bottles, jars and other glass packagings in the quantity of 200 million per year.
Within that time other glassworks also significantly improved the quality of their products responding to market needs. The Glassworks in Orzesze was gradually losing its market and could not keep up with the technological progress in the glass packaging sector. Necessary investments aimed to modernize the plant and to implement thin wall technology, which entered the Polish market, were not made. In consequence the Glasswork manufactured products for less demanding customers, which resulted in worsened financial standing. Finally the court announced the bankruptcy of a state owned enterprise Orzesze Glassworks.
In June 2005 Orzesze Glassworks was acquired by CP Glass S.A. to become part of the Can Pack Group. The Group is one of the most technologically advanced manufacturers of packgagings in Europe. The glass bottle supplemented the Group’s selling offer traditionally addressed to the beverage industry.
The Can-Pack Group modernized HSO technologically, implemented quality management procedures, corporate governance procedures and strict procedure for management of production costs and assets.
The acquisition of the glassworks in Orzesze activated a number of processes aimed at increasing the quality of glass packagings manufactured by the plant. The glassworks mastered NNPB technology applied in the production of thin walled bottles, minimized the share of defective products in the total production, reduced the weight of packagings and improved the speed of moulding.